Monday 1 February 2010

INTRO STYLI!

From out of that and into this! It’s 2010, it's a new decade and who knows what direction the genre known as Dubstep will evolve into within the next few years. It's astonishing, as five years ago it was relatively unknown, constricted to a few places within the gritty streets of the City of London rearing its head elsewhere every so often through the hopes and dreams of a dedicated following. For many moons I spent a portion of my time documenting the scene, seeing whom I could, and going as far as my commitments at home and bank balance would take me. Five years on and it is as if the music and artists contributing know no bounds, from London to Tokyo, Dubstep has spread like a virus overcoming all those who for many a year seemed to do what they could to develop some sort of vaccine for it. For those that know me, you'll know I have I have a unique perspective in this scene and it's only right that since I have been granted that privilege that I share it with all those who are courteous enough to scan this blog. Being 2010 then it's only right I start things off proper by bringing to you Big City Night's, a " Tale of two Cities"– an insight from a Steppah's perspective, into the different urban underground scenes that I transgress upon, focusing predominantly within the bpm range of Dubstep. However this inception is brought to you with the help of a little bit of space designer for some added twist... All right! I am not really into long speeches so with this blog I am going to switch the pace and change the style! I've managed to get onboard two of Holland's first Ladies of Dubstep, Rosa Maria (Nika: Radical) and Elize Bombeztic, who will be helping to keep us up to date with what’s going on in the nights they are heading to on the continent. And now something from our sponsors! My name is Rosa Maria Koolhoven, aka Nika. I’m a graphic design student and I party it up in the Netherlands. In my spare time I work as a photographer and graphic designer under the name Nikanika.com. Since 2006 I’ve been involved in the (Dutch) Dubstep scene. In 2007 I started to document all that I could with my pictures, going to as many events as I could with the likes of artists such as Skream, Benga, Caspa, The Others, Rusko, Kromestar, Mala, Flying Lotus, Hudson Mohawke and many more. Next to photographing at events, I've also been asked to photograph dj's and crews such as Distance, The Others, Seven, Kromestar, F-one and Dubstars for promotional material, websites and cd and record covers. Some of my photographs have also been published in magazines and newspapers like DJMag and NME. I visit London whenever I can to go to nights such as DMZ, FWD and Dub Police, or I visit my friends at GetDarkerTV. But I’m mostly active in Amsterdam at parties like Sonic Warfare, Viral Radio, Lockdown, Mosh and Oi!. I also organize my own night named Radical in Amsterdam with DJ and producer Myrkur and now and then I'm playing some tunes myself. So if you're ever in town look us up and come and meditate on bass weight with us. My name is Elize Bosker aka Bombeztic. I love to write, to share, to play and to experience (music) most of all. Utrecht resident, Amsterdam visitor, world traveler. Back in 2006 Nika introduced me to this tune that was different from all other (electronic) music I'd heard before. It reminded me of some of the Jungle and DnB I’d listened to and of a band I got introduced to back in 2003: High Tone. But this was deep, these basslines made me shiver. We went to the first Sonic Warfare and my love for dubstep was born. So far I’ve been to every big Oi! and loads of other parties like Viral Radio, Dub Infusions, Radical, Dubstep a GoGo, Dubstance, Untitled!, Rotation, Slam It!, FWD, Def:inition and Sonic Warfare. Most of all just for my own sake, but slowly I’ve grown more into the scene and got to know the people involved. Since last year I’ve picked up my video camera to do something useful in documenting parties every once in a while as well. The stuff I'm going to write for A Tale of Two Cities will most of all be an attempt to capture the specific vibe of the evening in words and sometimes in video footage. I've written for several blogs, both personal and music or art related, and I work at a media company in online advertising. Besides that my biggest passion is dancing and I especially love doing that to some really heavy basslines! With intro now done and dusted, I hope you'll watch this space, take on board what ever it is I have to say and debate about it in a gentlemanly fashion as us Brits are known for doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment